Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

is there a statute of limitations on child abandonment ter

Customer Question
s?...
is there a statute of limitations on child abandonment ter s?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

It may not be too late. Arizona law requires abandonment, absent abuse or neglect, to terminate a biological parent’s rights. "Abandonment" means the failure of a parent to provide reasonable support and to maintain regular contact with the child, including providing normal supervision. Abandonment includes a judicial finding that a parent has made only minimal efforts to support and communicate with the child. Failure to maintain a normal parental relationship with the child without just cause for a period of six months constitutes prima facie evidence of abandonment.

Arizona law requires a home study in this matter be conducted and a report submitted to the Court by a licensed adoption agency. The Court must be notified of the agency you have selected at the time of your filing.

So I suggest you obtain a second opinion from a local attorney that is familiar with adoption law. Even if your intent is not necessarily for the child to be adopted by another person because this problem can best be addressed by a local attorney who actually do adoptions and it may be a situation where your prior attorney is not familiar with adoption law.
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer