How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have questions regarding california divorce /separation of

Customer Question

i have questions regarding california divorce /separation of assets before proceeding to divorce. can someone help me (online or phone)
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

I can help you here online.

You are using "divorce" and "annulment" interchangably.

It is one or the other. Do you have grounds for annulment. Or are you filing for divorce?

How long have you been married? What assets do you jointly own?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello. just asking if i want to keep the annulment and not claim money. i have 5 questions. this is one. thanks. much spousal support can I get if my exhusband earns $500k /year and I earn $90K/year, both educated, and for 3 1/2 years of marriage
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
forgot to tell you that it is in california
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

I see.

Thank you

Spousal support, unlike Child Support, does not have Guidelines which are in place to make determinations for alimony

It works this way - It is based on need and ability to pay.

Generally, someone who has been married 11 years or longer will get some type of support.

In your case, since you are educated and have a means to support yourself and because your marriage was not at 11 years, your support will be very minimal, if at all, unfortunately.

You can read the CA Law here
to see exactly what I am saying and what criteria is used to determine support.

Also, Support comes in many forms - there is temporary support to allow someone to get on their feet. There is permanent support which is general granted to stay at home parents after 25 or so years and there is rehabilitative support this is granted when a party has no skills or education and needs to go to school to get a trade of some sort to survive

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you