How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13500
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:


Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "interferes" with child custody. I can tell you that when a court is deciding issues of child custody, the standard they use is always what is in the best interest of the child. In doing so, they look at a number of factors, including which parent is best able to care for the child. A parent who has an addiction can obviously present a safety risk to the child. Therefore, a court can limit, supervise or even cut off a parent's rights to custody or visitation. The court can also impose a requirement that a parent go to substance abuse counseling and/or drug/alcohol testing to ensure a parent is not addicted to anything before granting contact with the child.


JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Basically, my wife makes these threats about addiction but I would be happy to provide drug testing just to protect our son. I own a successful business that she will be trying to take out but I shouldn't be too concerned if she had actually been charged with a false police/ 911 call during our marriage for domestic violence. I recorded it so as the police looked at my knuckles I simply said press play and you will have no questions. However, there is some truth to what she says which is why I wanted to ask. I possibly could have abused Adderall in my efforts to build and grow the company but can't stop willingly tomorrow. Would I have a window to be able to show that I am not taking the medication or would it just start on the first day of the divorce? That's her only card to play as I pay every bill, house, etc and she stays at home. I recently saw that she actually called in about a short sale. Unreal. Successful company yes. Successful relationship - not looking good. I just live my son and would make sure he is more than protected.

It's not enough that you're taking the medication -she would have to be able to show that your addiction is affecting the car of the child in some manner. If you aren't a threat or danger to the child while on the medication (in comparison to say, an alcoholic who might get behind the wheel and drive with their child in the car), she has a much harder argument to make that your addiction somehow makes you less trustworthy as a parent.


The court isn't going to rule on the issue of custody and visitation the moment she files for divorce -that issue won't be decided until the divorce is finalized, so you have time to do what you need to do if you are getting off the medication. That said, she could file for temporary custody once she files for divorce, but even if she did so, she would still have to demonstrate how your addiction, if that is what she is arguing, makes you unfit, and there would be a hearing in front of the judge where the judge would hear from both of you before making a decision.

RobertJDFL and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much and I have one more question. Can you go to jail if you had a few different prescriptions of the same medicine but from different doctors?

Not in Texas, no. Texas does not, as of yet, have any laws against "doctor shopping", though there does seem to be a movement going to try and get legislation enacted. Many states do make it a criminal act to get a controlled substance from multiple doctors, but Texas is not among them yet. A dcotor may also refuse to give you the prescription if they feel you don't need it.


While it's not illegal, having the same prescription from multiple doctors is strong evidence that you may be abusing the medication, and it's something your spouse would be sure to use against you in court. It sounds like you recognize your taking of the medication is an issue and are looking at ways to correct the situation, though.

RobertJDFL and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I get the most reputable and the most successful lawyer for child custody where the mother has temporary restraining order and is fighting for full custody. This is bs and she has so many lies that I can disprove with hard evidence. I want to bring in the big guns and somehow shut her down immediately bc there is no way I won't have access to my son. I live in Austin tx. Please help me because my son is at risk here. $ isn't an issue either

While I am not permitted to recommend a specific attorney or firm, finding an attorney is often a matter of consulting with several and asking specific questions and finding one that you are comfortable with. A good way to do this is by asking family, friends, co-workers, etc. for recommendations.


You might also look into meeting with a board certified attorney. Only about 7,000 lawyers in Texas (out of over 70,000) are board certified, which indicates substantial, relevant experience in a specific area of law. They are allowed to hold themselves out as "specialists." Becoming board certified often requires years of practice in the field, the handling of a certain number of cases, and testing to become certified. While a person could become board certified after 5 years of practice and 3 years within one area of law, typically, board certified attorneys have been practicing far longer. In other words, these lawyers are often at the top of their profession.


To find a board certified lawyer in Texas, go here.

RobertJDFL and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions