Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband filed for divorce and we have been separated for

Customer Question
some time. I called legal...
My husband filed for divorce and we have been separated for some time. I called legal aid and they said they could not help me, because he filed for divorce. We had court yesterday without a judge and they took away my spousal support and child support. The man would not listen to me. I have been found medical disabled and can no longer work per my doctors, what can I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

I am sorry to hear about this problem . Since you stated that you did not appear before a judge I assume it was a Master.

In Pennsylvania, litigants have an absolute right to file an appeal to PA Superior Court. The Pennsylvania Superior Court will assign at least three judges to review the trial court's decision, the transcript of the hearing at the trial level, other relevant pleadings, and briefs submitted by the parties' attorneys. As the trial judge is the finder of facts, only errors of law are generally reviewed by the Superior Court.

If either or both of the parties are dissatisfied with the Pennsylvania Superior Court's decision, they may request a review of the case by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. However, there is no absolute right to have a case heard by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court in family law matters. Generally, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court will grant review of the Pennsylvania Superior Court's opinion only if the case involves an issue of substantial public importance.

If you can not do this yourself then I suggest you contact the local attorney bar association to see if there are any pro bono attorneys in your area other than legal aid who can assist you with the appeal
Relist: Other.
I've tried what he suggested and I have not got anywhere with of the options I've tried or that he suggested.
Family Lawyer: ANDREA,, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name is Andrea, I am a licensed, practicing Pennsylvania Attorney and would be glad to help, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind,

1. You stated that you went to Court yesterday. What was the nature of the proceeding, i.e., did your husband file some type of Petition ?

2. How many children do you have and what are their ages ?

3. On what grounds were the support payments terminated ?

4. In which County did these proceedings take place ?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply,

ANDREA,
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer