Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband and his three siblings have been served papers (by

My husband and his three siblings have been served papers (by Attorney of another sib.) to claim portion of family farm owned(in part) by a deceased parent--with no will in place. While parents alive (sib)had been DPOA. The said property is also owned by three living siblings of decedent. My husband tried in vain to bring family together to discuss without litigation. (Sib.) reports her parent wanted her to have the whole portion. We do not have financial means to pay for legal counsel at this time (3 kids in college!) what recourse do we have? Marg. A.
She will not get the whole farm if there is no will saying she gets the whole farm. Under probate law of intestate succession all of the descendants own an equal share and all of the siblings are now going to have to hire an attorney to defend this and share the cost AND if her claim is proven to be frivolous they would counter claim for her to pay their attorney's fees. Unfortunately, since she has now played this card, your husband and his siblings have no choice other than to get their own attorney to fight this one sibling and I understand costs are an issue, but legally that is his recourse since your husband cannot represent the other siblings that would be the unauthorized practice of law and this is why an attorney is now required.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”