How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home with my ex-wife and both of our names are on

Customer Question

I have a home with my ex-wife and both of our names are XXXXX XXXXX loan. I would like to sell or get out of the house, but she is unwilling to let it go. What are my legal rights, being my name is XXXXX XXXXX the loan, but, she is renting it out and I dont want any part of the house anymore?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Did you purchase the property following your divorce?

If not, what is indicated with regard to the property in the divorce decree?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it was purchased while we were married. The divorce says to sell within a year
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Then if she is violating the decree by refusing to facilitate the sale of the property within 1 year, you would typically file a motion for order to show cause against her in the court that entered the decree. This normally requests that she be held in contempt and even jailed if she does not comply with the court's order and is the method for enforcing such orders.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats great but I would like to get this resolved within the month and honestly dont think with this information I will get that done. I would like to know how I can go about writing up papers to get her off my ass without threat
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
You can quitclaim the property to her, but you would remain liable on the mortgage, so that is not a reasonable option typically.

She would have to agree to refinance the property to get your name removed from the mortgage since the lender will not simply release you from your contractual obligation, or she will need to comply with the court's order.

Those are the options.

Related Family Law Questions