How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If me and my wife got a divorce and the court awarded all debt

This answer was rated:

If me and my wife got a divorce and the court awarded all debt incurred jointly. Can collection people still garnish my ex-wife's wages for something that the court awaded me?
Hello there:

To whom did the court award the debt? Also, in which state did this occur?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Me the ex-husband and in Arizona but she kept all her student loans.
Thank you for the clarification. Did the creditors obtained a judgment against either you or your wife prior to the divorce?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes even though the debt was incurred by me solely. I got a pay day loan and they got a lawyer to file papers on me it named me by name and they added Jane Doe for my wife i guess?
I apologize for the slight delay.

As you are probably aware, Arizona is a community property state. Part of what this means is that debts are incurred by the community, and the creditor can enforce a debt against either member of the community. The creditor is an innocent third-party to the transaction and their right to enforce the judgment against either spouse will not be compromised by assignment of the debt obligation in a divorce. If the creditor enforces the debt against someone who is not assigned the debt, the remedy is not against the creditor; it is against the spouse who did not pay. So, for example, the creditor might enforce the debt assigned to the husband against the wife; the wife's remedy would be to then sue the husband for her damages.
Brandon M. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you