How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalPro Your Own Question
LegalPro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 589
Experience:  33 years experience in domestic relations and family law practice.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalPro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We adopted our son through a private adoption, his sibling

This answer was rated:

We adopted our son through a private adoption, his sibling in a different state has been removed from the home and is in custody of the state. Can we get custody?
I am assuming that this is his biological sibling who is in the custody of a state other than your that of your residence. Correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. We are in Texas and the sibling is in Iowa.
Under the premise that the best interests of the sibling children would be served by allowing them to share a common home, and that you are already approved as adoptive parents, I think that you would certainly have a chance in not only obtaining custody of the sibling in Iowa, but also in adopting him or her. To undertake the custody or adoption process, you would be faced with compliance with the statutes of both Iowa and Texas. An initial contact to begin this process may be the Iowa Department of Human Services Also helpful may be private agencies in Texas and in Iowa Also helpful to you may be the attorney who handled the Texas adoption of your son. I find that the procedures involved in this type of case somewhat tedious and challenging, but that perseverance can lead to a favorable result. Please feel free to return a specific request if I may provide further information in this matter.
LegalPro and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions