How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While filing for social security I discover that Im married

Resolved Question:

While filing for social security I discover that I'm married to a woman I have not seen in 40 years. My second marriage ended in divorce with my wife being awarded a portion of the 401K, pension and alimony which I'm still paying. How do I approach this mess and can my second wife sue me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Since you are divorced from your second wife, there would typically be no basis for her to sue you unless the first wife asserts a claim against your property or other interests which your second wife claims to be hers.

However, you will need to file a petition for dissolution from your first wife in your local court. She should be personally served with the summons and petition. Assuming the matter is not contested, it should be a relatively simple proceeding.

It is best though to retain a local family law attorney to represent you due to the potential complexities involved in this case, which may be avoided if you are represented by an attorney.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you