How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a birth Mom contemplating adoption. She has been in

Resolved Question:

I have a birth Mom contemplating adoption. She has been in contact with the birth father who does not support adoption. However, he has not given support of any kind (emotional, financial, spiritual etc.) to either of his kids. Their daughter is 2 and the new baby was born in August 2011. What does she need to do to prove abandonment and if it is accepted that he is not an acknowledged father, can she make an adoption plan for her children or will his refusal preclude adoption as an option. Thank you, Miriam
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome Miriam,

Is there someone willing to adopt the children?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we have several possible families all cleared and ready to go. Right now, it is too risky to present her to these prospective parents.
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.
I see.

Courts are typically more receptive to a petition to terminate parental rights when the petition is filed in conjunction with a petition for adoption, so it is usually best to file both at the same time.

The mother and adoptive parents could come to an agreement with regard to splitting the costs of such an action, but courts are usually reluctant to terminate a parent's rights if that would leave the child with only one parent.

Abandonment is one of the grounds for terminating parental rights under NM law. Here is a link that sets out the various grounds:

Here are the factors a court will normally consider in determining whether abandonment has been proven:

  • Left the child without provision for the child’s identification for a period of 14 days; or
  • Left the child with others, including the other parent or an agency, without provision for support and without communication for a period of:

    • three months if the child was under six years of age at the commencement of the three-month period; or
    • six months if the child was over six years of age at the commencement of the six-month period.

  • Here is a link that provides more information on this issue:


I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you