How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my first wife and I divorced about 3 years ago, she and

This answer was rated:

When my first wife and I divorced about 3 years ago, she and the judge did not order child support. (I do send send support anyway, however).

If she were to go back to court to have support ordered at some point, would the court base the amount of child support on my income or the income of both my new wife and I? And, if would filling taxes joint versus separate have any effect on this?

(If important: My ex, kids, and the divorce decree are Texas. I live, with my new wife in New York).

Thank you,

Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Texas would have jurisdiction over your case even though you now live in NY. The income of your new wife would not be counted, only your income and the filing of taxes would not matter.
If you send any money, be sure to do it by check and mark it as child support. Here is the Texas calculator.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions