Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

in a child support case, if the mother and father are unmarried,

Customer Question
the mother resides in...
in a child support case, if the mother and father are unmarried, the mother resides in ohio, and the father in delaware, in what state does the mother file for child support in?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Per the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act, the mother would file for child support in Ohio, if that is where the child has been living for the last six months and no other court currently holds jurisdiction over custody matters (if it does, it may still be Ohio, but it would depend on the facts, so please let me know).

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

many thanks

what state's amount calculator would be used? also if the father in delaware has no contact whatsoever with the mother in ohio, by what means would the father in delaware be notified for a paternity test to verify paternity. registered mail, courier, constable,??

You are very welcome!

what state's amount calculator would be used?

Ohio.

also if the father in delaware has no contact whatsoever with the mother in ohio, by what means would the father in delaware be notified for a paternity test to verify paternity. registered mail, courier, constable,??

Yes. The father has to be notified in Ohio just as though he were in Delaware. He would need to be served by certified mail or a private process server, indeed.

one last question

as far as my income, i am self employed as a sole proprietor. my gross before all business deductions is approx. 90,000 after business deductions my net is approxx 35,000. how would ohio calculate this since ohio uses gross income for their calculator. thankyou so much, this is my last question

Sure.

Are you incorporated, or not?
no i am not
Thank you.

”Self-generated income” means gross receipts received by a parent from self-employment, proprietorship of a business, joint ownership of a partnership or closely held corporation, and rents minus ordinary and necessary expenses incurred by the parent in generating the gross receipts.

You then take the gross minus the self-generated income, and arrive at a number which would be seen as the amount you make.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law