How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33918
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my cousin was living on the streets. two years my grandmother

Resolved Question:

my cousin was living on the streets. two years my grandmother found out and told me. my husband and i decided to take him in. my uncle (his father) wouldnt allow it. he had put him out of his house because he wouldnt join the gang that he belonged to. my uncle went to the police and told them he was a run-a-way. my grand mother and i took him to the Chicago police station and showed them that he wasnt a run a way just an unwanted boy. the police said that they couldn't do anything because we were not the leagle guardians. so i told my cousin to stay with my grandmother so he could continue going to his school. my husband and i began financially supporting him at that time. my grandmother is on a fixed income and cant affored to take care of him. we later found out that my uncle was getting money for the state to aid in his care. my grandmother asked him for some of it and he told her that he couldnt because he needed it to pay off his suv. my grandmonther an i bothe contacted the department of children and family services and filed a complaint with them. they begain an investagation. my uncle who was living with his girlfriend at the time temporaly moved hisself into my grandmothers house so he could say he was living there with his son. a week later he moved his son (my cousin) to his girlfriends house with him. my uncles girlfriend had two boys of her own. my ncle wasnt making much if any money. three months later my cousin was back on the streets. i didnt know where he was. a few months later my grand mother called and told me he had gotton beaten up pretty band and was in the hospital needing surgury. my cousins girlfriends mother had to authorize the surgery because she was the only one with him at the time. when it was time for his release they wouldnt release him to me or anyone else because he was a minor. so i threaten my uncle to give me guardian ship or i would have him arrested for child abandoment and neglect. so we had some documents notorized naming me and my husband as leagle guardians. but thats not enough. we are unable to get him into school, get him and ID/ drivers licence. we cant even put him on our benifits at work. we cant get his birth certifacate or social security card. everyone in the family has asked my uncle for it but he says no. he is not giving it to us and he dont want his son back. my cousin is 17 and has been out of school now for over a year. he has bee living with me and my husband sence we brought him home from the hospital. is there anyway i or my cousin can sue my uncle his fater to get the documents we need so we can get him in school. my cousin cant even get a job because he cant prove who he is.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
What kind of documents did you get signed and notarized and where did you get them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i went to Orion i downloaded this form {APPOINTMENT OF SHORT-TERM GUARDIAN FOR MINOR CHILD(REN) AND DURABLE HEALTHCARE POWER OF ATTORNEY} the document was filled out by me and signed by the three of us. me, my husband and my uncle.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
What you will need to do to force anything is to hire a lawyer and apply for a guardianship through the courts. That will then give you the power to do anything or get anything you need. The forms you got really don't do anything.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you