How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What should I bring to my first child custody hearing

This answer was rated:

What should I bring to my first child custody hearing?
Can you provide some more information to put this into context?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Friend is filing for sole custody of her 4 year old daughter in Prince William County. She doesnt have money for a lawyer and her first hearing is on thursday the 3rd of this month. Her daughters father doesnt have anything to do with her daughter and she just wants sole custody of her. He has been investigated twice in the past for molesting the little girl but nothing was proved. My friend also had to file for and is recieving child support from him. She will be going at this alone and I am trying to help her by researching what things she will need to bring with her to the first court hearing to make the process as stress free and successful as possible.
What evidence is needed is so fact specific that it is almost impossible to answer without an intimate knowledge of the case. In general, she will need to bring whatever evidence she has to prove the allegations she made to justify sole conservatorship.

If there are specific issues about which you have questions it would probably be helpful to ask those. For instance, if she was alleging that he didn't take the child to school when he had visitation with her then the school records would be necessary. Are there any specific issues she is raising?
JD 1992 and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has paperwork showing that 2 seperate investigations were filed against him for possible molestation to the little girl. I was just curious what basic documents she may need? Like does she need Receipts proving her daughter is in a Daycare program while she is at work. Does she need to bring proof of employment? What kind os things will she expect to go on in the first hearing? she has never even been to a court room before and she is very nervous. I think the father may have a lawyer also. I am just very concerned and trying to help her out.She helped me through a very tough time in my life and I am trying to do the same for her. If you could just give me a general idea of these things to present to her this afternoon after she gets off of work. Please I could use any advice you could offer.
If the investigations are closed with no finding then they aren't going to be much help, particularly if she started them. They could even hurt if she brings them up.

She can bring proof of employment and proof of the daycare as well as proof of any other expenses for the child, like extracurricular activities.

Also, any proof she has that he doesn't spend any time with the child such as a calendar of when he was supposed to visit but didn't.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Related Family Law Questions