How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28367
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dad who Lives in illinois now- changing legal residency to

Customer Question

Dad who Lives in illinois now- changing legal residency to florida, how does that affect child support and college support? Am current with support, pay half of all their expenses. My oldest daughter wants to go to NU- $58,000 a year and my ex thinks i should have saved money for her to do so!!! I dont make that much money (55K a year) I need to know how the law changes if i live in a differnet state
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

Does the current child support order require that he pay for college? If so, does it have any restrictions on the type of school ( private or public) which needs to be paid for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

States that parties respective obligations to the expenses of their childrens college or trade school education shall be determined pursuant to Par 2-513 of Il Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, upon due notice and petition.


So I looked this up and realize it requires me to contribute- which I have offered- however, my ex wife is offring $5000 towards the $58K and expecting me to cover rest. And I am considering moving residency to Florida as I may be unemployed is not doing well and they are considering does my child support/college remain governed by Illinois law?

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it would remain and be governed by Illinois. However, you could have an arguement that her offer of $5000 is not enough and she should contribute 50% of the tuition. If you are losing your job and will not have the ability to pay for such a private education, the court may not order it paid, unless the child attends a public school with a more affordable rate.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.
Where do the children live?