How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband has not paid child support for 4 years and now

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband has not paid child support for 4 years and now owes about $40,000. Since the divorce he has accumulated about $20,000 in Ohio teachers retirement. Now he is facing jail. Can we make an agreement that I will drop my enforcement of jail if he gives me this retirement when he retires. Would a post decree Division of Property Order be able to be enforced in a court of law?

It would be possible to accomplish what you are discussing. You would need to prepare

a stipulated modification to your final judgment detailing the exchange of current support in exchange for ownership of his retirement account.


While it would be prudent to have an attorney draft the paperwork, it would be possible to do it on your own. The stipulation would need to provide sufficient detail so as to be easily understood by all parties. It would also need to be signed and notarized by you both. Upon completion, it would be forwarded to the judge for his signature as well. Once the judge has signed off on it, the document would be an official court order, binding on you both.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you