How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28043
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My ex continues to be combative with me. I get vulgar

Resolved Question:

My ex continues to be combative with me. I get vulgar texts, phone calls, and messages through my children. Our divorce papers state to use mediation. Can I use a mediator offered through my works EAP or do I have to go through the court?

Also, he is expected to pay 50% of the medical bills not covered by my insurance.
I haven't received anything. The papers state he has 14 days to remit payment. How do I get the money?

What exact purpose will the mediator serve?
How will my children and I benefit?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

The purpose of mediation is to bring the parties together and hopefully resolve the issue without having to go through the long drawn out court process. The mediator is neutral and tries to come to an agreed upon resolution, so that both parties are at least comfortable with the decision. It is not binding and is a way to try and resolve this as soon as possible. If there is an order by the court that your ex is failing to comply with, you need to take him back to court to enforce the order and/or to hold him in contempt for violating it. If he has not paid the 50% upon you providing him proof of what is owed, send him a letter, advising that if he fails to pay, you will take him back to court and seek that he pay your attorney fees as well.

FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you