How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David L Your Own Question
David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3255
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
David L is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex and I do not agree on wording in the JPA and my lawyer

This answer was rated:

If my ex and I do not agree on wording in the JPA and my lawyer is stating I am correct with how I am readign it can he file an emergency order if we never attempted mediation and we have to in order to litagate?
Hello. What is the specific argument regarding the visitation? If it were me, I wouldn't attempt an emergency hearing based on a weekend visitation dispute. The court probably wouldn't consider that an "emergency." The reality is that the two of you are going to have to figure out a way to play nice with each other without going to court or through mediation to resolve these disputes. I know that is easier said than done, but also think of the financial expense involved as well. You each could spend more than $1,000 just to resolve one weekend visitation dispute.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its the same dispute that I had asked you last week over the wording- he keeps harrasing me about it. But his email to me yesterday was threatning and hes falsley accusing me of things that I did not do so that I can not verify a court order that his house has been child proofed. I have not heard if he filed an emergency or not I just didnt know if he could without trying to resolve it first. I completly agree with you and I have tried to compromise with him and even given him other days to see our son but his wording to me was he would not work outside the JPA. I do have a very good co-parenting relationship with my daughters dad and we work very well togehter and I have seen the benefits that it has. But it takes 2 to make it work and when one doesnt want to compromise at all or work outside the JPA it makes it very difficult. I have never with held our son from him and have even given him days outside the JPA to take him so I know in my heart I am trying the best I can.
Then why don't you simply do nothing and interpret the agreement as you and your attorney have determined. If he wants to file for an emergency hearing, let him go do it. Otherwise, just continue to assert your position.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Completely agree-thank you again for your time.
You're welcome. Once again, best of luck!
David L and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you