How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102174
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How will this affect me. I have been paying alimony for 35

Customer Question

How will this affect me. I have been paying alimony for 35 years. My Ex wife has lived with a boyfriend for the same amount of time. Please advise. Joseph Bachmann
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. If your ex has been living with a boyfriend - and she began doing so after the alimony amount was reached, then this gave you enough basis to seek modification of the amount. You can file for alimony modification if there has been a material change in circumstances. The Court has discretion whether or not to modify the existing Order based on factors in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 208 Section 34. If she has been living with someone else who has been helping her pay the bills while the alimony amount is geared for her living alone, this may be enough basis to have this amount modified downward, or even terminated. While you are unlikely to have this judgment be retroactive, this would affect any alimony going forward.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction! Really! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Related Family Law Questions