How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42825
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated from my wife in N.C. for 4 years. She

Resolved Question:

I have been separated from my wife in N.C. for 4 years. She wanted her name off the house so only my name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage. After getting bills from her using my credit cards and getting into financial difficulty over all this, I tried working with the bank to keep my house. They won't call me back. They refused payments. Now they want $8000 in 2 weeks and to raise my mortgage payments for me to keep the house. I can't do that, so I am giving up the house. They won't tell me how long I have until foreclosure. In the meantime, I want to divorce my wife, but found out that her name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed. I didn't even realize this when I refinanced the house with only my name years ago. How do I get a divorce and should I just walk away from the house? I can't sue my wife when she has no money. She took everything I had and I have lost all my good credit. I just want a divorce and to be clear of the house.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

You certainly should consider filing for divorce here.You could at least end the credit card issues here.I think you may well have to do a walk away on the house.The title here prevents you from a deed in lieu or short sale if the ex will not cooperate.

RayAnswers :

You may be looking at bankruptcy here for yourself to discharge all the debts.If they foreclose here they may pursue you for any deficiency .So bankruptcy would then be that remedy.

RayAnswers :

This is a tough situation with not a lot of options if the ex will not cooperate.You could seek to have court award you the house in the divorce but it my too late to save it.If you have to let it go into foreclosure here a bankruptcy might allow you to live in it for a couple of years rent free.

RayAnswers :

You are going to need a local lawyer here to start with a divorce and possibly bankruptcy if you cannot resolve the house with the ex.

RayAnswers :

To me starting with the divorce seem to be a good place to start.

RayAnswers :

Lawyer for you here

RayAnswers :

Lawyer Referral Directory

Back to map

North Carolina


Mecklenburg County Bar Association LRS
Charlotte, NC

Counties Served: Mecklenburg

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral


North Carolina Bar Association
Cary, NC

Counties Served: Statewide

RayAnswers :

Thanks for letting me help you.Hoe you have a great halloween.

RayAnswers and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you