How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in Washington state. My ex has residential custody

Customer Question

Hi, I live in Washington state. My ex has residential custody of our children during the school year while I get them every other weekend, 18 days of vacation per year and 50% of summer break. I would like to add visitation during the week, at least one evening for a couple of hours. How could I proceed with this and are my chances good for getting this done?

Thank you!

Racheal Adams
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

I would like to make sure that I know what information you want so that I can ensure that my response addresses the issues you're wondering about.
1. How far do you live from the ex and the child?

Please understand that, while I can provide information on a custody modification, I cannot estimate your chances of success.
2. Would you be willing to accept an answer that addresses custody modifications?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your prompt response.

1) I live about 20 miles away from my ex

2) Yes, I would be will to accept an asnwer that addresses custody modifications.

Thank you

Racheal Adams
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying!

One last question:
How old is the child?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are 2 children involved; boy, 12 years old and girl 9 years old.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
It may be possible to obtain some weekday visitation. However, it may only be several hours (such as 5PM to 8PM), which could make it difficult to take the children to your home and then return them. Of course, that wouldn't prevent the visitation from being awarded, though it might affect the quality of it in some scenarios. A court may be hesitant to order overnight visitation due to the distance, as well, since the children would need be able to attend school the next day. Likewise, the distance and the stress on the child could make overnights during the week difficult or impossible and thus not in a child's best interests. However, courts do award a few hours a during the week in some cases, such as visitation from 5PM until 8PM.

Essentially, if you want to modify the custody arrangement, the process necessary would include a petition to modify the order. For the order to be granted, you'd have to be able to show that the modification was in the child's best interests. Courts should generally strive to keep both parents involved in the lives of children, so granting additional visitation during a week may serve the child's interests as it facilitates a stronger parent-child relationship. However, other factors you'd run into could include effects on schooling (such as time to do home work), the other parent-child relationship, extracurricular activities, etc. Anything relevant to a child's best interests can be considered, so it's necessary to look at all of the circumstances when addressing such matters and petitioning for a modification. The specific circumstances and the effect of them on the specific child are considered, meaning that each case is evaluated on its own merit.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
AttorneyTom and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was looking at simply having dinner with my kids because it is in the middle of the school week. this is what it is....and i,ll take what time i can get with my kids when i can
thanks for your time.
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 5 years ago.
I'm glad I could provide some valuable information! I hope that you're able to get some more time with your children. It's always nice to see parents going out of their way to play a larger role in the lives of their children!

Good luck! Thank you for clicking accept!