Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm getting divorced in State after 22 years of marriage. Is

Customer Question
I'm getting divorced in Washington...
I'm getting divorced in Washington State after 22 years of marriage. Is it correct that for spousal support I should receive half of his income for 11 years (excluding debt)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/31/2011
Family Lawyer: Brandon M., Family Law Attorney replied 6 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Hello there:

Thank you for entrusting me with your question. It is not correct that for spousal support in Washington that a spouse would be entitled to receive half of the other spouse's income for 11 years, excluding debt. There is no formula for spousal support. Instead, spousal support is determined at the discretion of the court based on consideration of the factors enumerated in Washington Revised Code 26.09.090. That section, in part, provides:

The maintenance order shall be in such amounts and for such periods of time as the court deems just, without regard to misconduct, after considering all relevant factors including but not limited to:

(a) The financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including separate or community property apportioned to him or her, and his or her ability to meet his or her needs independently, including the extent to which a provision for support of a child living with the party includes a sum for that party;

(b) The time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the party seeking maintenance to find employment appropriate to his or her skill, interests, style of life, and other attendant circumstances;

(c) The standard of living established during the marriage or domestic partnership;

(d) The duration of the marriage or domestic partnership;

(e) The age, physical and emotional condition, and financial obligations of the spouse or domestic partner seeking maintenance; and

(f) The ability of the spouse or domestic partner from whom maintenance is sought to meet his or her needs and financial obligations while meeting those of the spouse or domestic partner seeking maintenance.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney