Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

what happens if i dont show up to a restraining order court

Customer Question
what happens if i don't...
what happens if i don't show up to a restraining order court with battery but no criminal charge for it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/13/2011
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

If you fail to appear, the restraining order will be granted. If you appear, you will be allowed to contest the issuance of the order and speak with the court about what happened, in hope that they do not issue the order and/or find there is not enough evidence to do so.

but will i be arrested for contempt of court?
It would be at the discretion of the Judge. If you received an order from the court regarding the hearing and your need to appear and you fail to do so, it would be up to the Judge if he just wanted to issue the order or hold you in contempt and require you to appear to answer for it. It is not a criminal proceeding where a warrant would be issued if you failed to appear.
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer