How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

one spouse is listed as owner of the property where they live.

Resolved Question:

one spouse is listed as owner of the property where they live. The other spouse moves out of said property. Is the spouse who moved out still responsible for all loans and other financial requirements associated with that house?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

has a divorce petition been filed??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it has not. I was hoping to go thru mediation. But my spouse is dragging I would like to move on with my life but cannot while we are living under the same roof. And I cannot afford to contribute to this home and live in another home.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
until a divorce is filed both spouses are equal for the expenses but the problem is absent a court order you cannot legally make them do anything. A petition for divorce would need to be filed and an order of temporary support would be entered while the divorce is pending if you move out. A spouse dragging their feet does not prevent the other spouse from filing for divorce and moving the case forward. permission is not necessary for divorce so if you want to move the case, then file the petition and get it started. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you