Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was married in Massachusetts 9 years ago. Moved to California

Customer Question
I was married in Massachusetts...
I was married in Massachusetts 9 years ago. Moved to California 4 years ago. Husband asked for a divorce. He is moving to NYC. We made an agreement regarding how to split the finances and assets via email. Is this email agreement enforceable? What about Statute of Frauds?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/2/2011
Family Lawyer: GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney replied 6 years ago
GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

any proposed agreement made for the purposes of settling a law suit are not admissible in court. You will need to both sign a written agreement and submit it with the divorce petition to have the court incorporate the terms of the agreement in the final divorce decree. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Relist: Answer quality.
Resubmit to different attorney. Answer did not address question and what it did state I believe is totally wrong.

Family Lawyer: John Domestic, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
John Domestic
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

I understand that you want an additional opinion on your question. The prior expert is correct. I will try and further explain the problem with your email agreement.

California law would apply here if your separation took place in California.

California property settlements, in the form of settlement agreements, are written contracts outlining the terms of property division, general rights, and other decisions associated with the dissolution of the marriage. California family law as it relates to divorce does recognize the authority of a marriage settlement agreement in a divorce.

If the agreement was merged and incorporated in the decree, or court decision, the agreement will essentially become a court order and be enforceable by law. A couple may also request that the agreement simply be merged, but not incorporated into the decree; this would make the agreement a simple contract between the two spouses which leaves room for later modifications.

California family courts generally abide by the divisions of property outlined in the property settlement agreement. The court reviews the document in order to verify that it is a fair agreement in which neither party was forced or coerced during its creation. It is within the rights of the court to request financial affidavits in order to further verify the fairness of the terms.

The issue with your agreement is that it was created through email and never signed. A settlement agreement cannot be enforced at all under CCP 664.6 unless it is signed by all of the parties to the agreement. Unfortunately, the signature requirement is not met by an email exchange here.

John Domestic
John Domestic
John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer