How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and husband had their first daughter. They finally

Resolved Question:

My daughter and husband had their first daughter. They finally reached an agreement insofar as the name. But placing some pressure ("this is very important to me") the husband registered the girl witrh the husband´s last mother and last father´s names. So it is first name, mother´s last name, father´s middle name, father´s last name. They live in California. My daughter tells me that they still have four days to change the name. She wants each parent to chose one last name so the girl will have three names: fisrt, second and last. But husband dowsn´t give in. He wants the daughter to have the last name of his mother and the last name of this father. If my daughter tris the same thing, the daughter will end up with five names and I believe this will complicate her life: first name, last name of materanl grandmother, last name of maternal grandfather, last name of paternal grandemother and last name of paternal grandfather. In case they can´t reach an agreement, since the girl is alreadu registered, can my daughter go to court? Can they cahnge the name after the four days left to do it? Thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Your daughter can go to court to file a petition for name change and the husband will need to be served. there will be a hearing, the judge will decide whether the name change should be granted or not. Yes it can be changed after 4 days if she goes to court, but to do this doesn't seem to bode very well for the state of the marriage if she has to go to court over the baby's name. As long as she is prepared for the fall out and issues this may create in her marriage, she is free to take it to court. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The daughter tells me that after trhey registered the girl they had ten days to change. This time will be over in four days. If the husband doesn´t agree to change there is nothing she can do besides going to court. Which court she should go to? Thank you.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Civil court. file a petition for name change. they normally have the packets with the clerk of court so she can fill out the petition and have a copy served on her husband. then a hearing will be scheduled. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Clicking ACCEPT does not charge you anything more and encourages expert answers to future questions. Best regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, last questions. Can she do this even though she signed the original registration? Is there a dateline for her to do this?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
yes, she can still do it, even though she signed the original registration. a person can have a name change filed at any time, even as an adult. there is no deadline for her to do this. Perhaps she should tell her husband she is prepared to go to court to seek a name change if they cannot agree. maybe that will motivate him to compromise. It's worth a try. Again, I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may receive credit. best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions