How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the law when it comes to a parent that has had nothing

Customer Question

What is the law when it comes to a parent that has had nothing to do with the child and has moved out of state to illinois? His name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth certificate and the child does not carry his name. He is now threatening to go to the next step unless i tell him about his child, what can the next step possibly be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is Lisa and I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

how old is the child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He will be turning 2 in December.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
the next step would be the father filing for joint custody and visitation rights. he is entitled to those rights and the court will most likely give them. a visitation schedule will then be set for when he can have the child for visitation and of course child support will be order as well, if he is not already paying child support. So that is the next step. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
shouldn't paternity be taken first...because he has done absolutely nothing for this child?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
a petition to establish paternity will be included with the petition for joint custody and visitation. i hope this helps clarify. thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Clicking ACCEPT does not charge you anything more and encourages expert answers to future questions. Best regards.

Related Family Law Questions