How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117420
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For state of Louisiana My mother passed away approx. 1 1/2

Resolved Question:

For state of Louisiana: My mother passed away approx. 1 1/2 months ago. She had a will stating to split all assets equally among us 5 children. Her liquid cash assets and annuity in bank is $76,000. My sister is executor and had a meeting last week with her and presented death certificate and reviewed all assets and details. She also has a home paid for that we had appraised at $230,000. Our attorney said that the liquid assets (cash and annuity in bank) cannot be divided until home is sold. We expect the judge to sign off on probate and succession of will in about 10 more days. My question is, do we have to wait until the home sells before we can distribute the cash funds among ourselves? That does not sound correct, but please advise me if it is.
Thank You
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The attorney is correct that the succession must be completed before any distributions can be made because all debts and taxes of the estate must be paid before any distributions are made from the estate. Because it is not known what expenses will be incurred with the house, the attorney cannot allow anything to be taken from the estate until the home is disposed of.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions