How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter who is now 27. Her father and I were never

Resolved Question:

I have a daughter who is now 27. Her father and I were never married and there was never any court ordered child support. Am I legally able to ask for back child support, at this point?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

why after all of these years?
why was no child support filed when she was a child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My daughter feels she was deprived of things in life that she could of had if her father had supported her. She also saw how I struggled and feels he owes me for all the years he did not contribute to her upbringing.

I did not want to pursue the child support because he had stalked me and at one point, before I severed ties with him, stole all our belongings and put them in storage for 6 months before I got them back. I was in fear for my daughters, and my, safety.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately the time to file for child support has long passed and you cannot file now. if you had initiated a case back then, even if he never paid you could now go back and enforce the order but since you didn't bring any case, you had until she was age 22 to try to file for support and since you did not, the state will not allow you to file for back child support of a 27 year old adult. Sorry but it's too late. I understand you were afraid but there were resources to help you to get the support for your child through the state and you didn't even need to come in contact with him. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate the legal facts you have given me. As for the advice for what I should have done then, it does not sound like you have much experience in dealing with battered women (or their mental state when they are in the midst of a horrible situation). My daughter is dealing with many mental health issues right now and I promised her I would look into this, for her. Even when we moved away from where he lived, I still was afraid and would look for us. I was afraid he would try to come and abduct her. That is no way to live. For me, not speaking for my daughter, that was no way to live. Resources back then were not plentiful. Resources for the mentally ill are not plentiful now. There are many cracks to fall through and get no support. I had no money for an attorney to even know that I could file for child support
back then. I am guessing that had I filed for child support he would have had the right to visitation. All the money in the world isn't worth my child's safety or my life.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
actually, paying child support would not have given him visitation. he was obligated to take care of his child even if he couldn't see her. i'm sorry for what you and your daughter went through. hopefully she will understand you made a choice to keep her safe even if that meant not having financial support from him. I am not judging your decision, was simply letting you know what the process would have been. I wish you and your daughter well. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Clicking ACCEPT does not charge you anything more and encourages expert answers to future questions. Best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions