How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in US right now on H1B visa. I got married 1.75 years

Customer Question

I am in US right now on H1B visa. I got married 1.75 years back and my wife entered on H4 but is on H1B visa now. There are chances that we might get divorced and separated. Is there any precaution I should take to save myself financially if this happens? Is there some law that states that if divorce happens 2 years after marriage , there is more fiancial risks?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

What financial risks are you concerned about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if we get divorced what happens with the property we own and the money we have in the accounts. How does that get divided? Are there more obligations on divorce if you divorce within 2 years of marriage as opposed to after 2 years of marriage. Does it matter what visa status you have to decide how the money and property gets settled after marriage? We have a property which we bought a year back, loan is in my name , title was initially in both of our names but she signed a zero $ grant deeed 3 months back to transfer it to just my name
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
It is all divided 50/50. there are no more obligations based on whether you divorce in more than 2 years or less than 2 years. A longer marriage may create alimony obligations but that is about it. Your visa status does not affect how the money and property are divided. As to the property, you want to ask the divorce court to give it to you since she already quit claimed it over to you it should not be subject to 50/50 division but the rest of the property, cash, assets are subject to 50/50 division. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your reply. In my case my income is way more than hers and her expenses are more than mine. Also she send a lot of money as gifts to her home. Even in that case everything gets divided 50/50 in the case of a divorce?

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
property and assets are 50/50. thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What did you mean by "A longer marriage may create alimony obligations"
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
longer than 2 years, that is all. a spouse may have to pay alimony to the other spouse based on a longer marriage. I would seriously urge you to talk with a local family law attorney to discuss your case in detail and advise you of your rights. Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would you be interested to discuss my case in detail? Please let me know the fees you would prefer to charge to explain the alimony question in detail
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
We are not allowed to communicate outside of this web site it is against the rules. It is a good rule because the attorneys here have nothing to gain by telling you what you want to hear or by telling you that you have a case so you can hire us, because you cannot hire us all we can do is provide guidance and information. You can find a local family law attorney to discuss your case with at I hope that helps clarify. this question is now closed. Thanks and good luck.

Related Family Law Questions