How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118174
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2010 the State of Ohio changed the spousal support ratio

Resolved Question:

In 2010 the State of Ohio changed the spousal support ratio for payment from 3 years to 5 years of marriage. I am currently in my last two years of spousal support and this change would have reduced my obligation for spousal support payment from 7 to 4 years. Obviously the ratio of 3 to 1 was looked upon as unfair and changed to reflect a more reasonable time frame. I want to know if anyone has has gone back to court and try to adjust the number of years in their current judgement due to this change in the law. I am inquiring to find out if payor has attempted to get a ruling from the courts on whether previous cases could be adjusted to reflect the change in the law. I am not looking for an opinion but a yes or no if anyone has asked the court for a ruling on this issue or if it is a known fact that this new law cannot be even reviewed against past cases
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Actually, the previous information you received is correct. The Ohio Constitution bars retroactive laws. This means that retroactive application of the support law would be prohibited.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you