How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Since 1986, the last twenty-five years, I have been paying

Resolved Question:

Since 1986, the last twenty-five years, I have been paying for a life insurance policy. My husband and I divorced 4 years ago, but I continued to pay for the policies for my kids. My ex-husband is homeless and decided to cancel his life insurance policy and cash it out. The life insurance policies were noted in the divorce decree but there was no mention that he had to pay for it. The life insurance policy that he was the owner of, but which I paid for, they billed my checking account monthly, has a cash value. Since he took the money from a policy I had been paying for could I take him to court for reimbursement of the cash value he took from the policy? My kids were the beneficiary of the policy. The policy was for $500,000.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
Exactly what did the divorce decree state as to the life insurance policies?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing, the life insurance policies were just listed in the divorce papers where it states we were paying insurance policies on each other.
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
If that is all it says then your attorney made a serious mistake. It is one that it is too late to correct now. The policy is his and he can do with it as he wishes. You could try to reopen the divorce decree to correct the issue about the policies but by the time you get anything done the money will probably be gone and it will be expensive to retain another attorney to try and correct the mistake. Sorry.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you