How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

.My friend has just been served with papers to increase his

This answer was rated:

.My friend has just been served with papers to increase his child support. Has a very nasty ex-wife unreasonable. He has paid his support for two girls faithfully for about four years. One has since turned 18 so her child support went down. Now she has filed to increase his support by over double for his one girl. She has some womens group in Alturas helping her. She has also met an online boyfriend who is very strange and way to friendly with his young daughter, and wants to marry the ex-wife and move both way away. Sort of at his wits end. Can you tell us what we need to do.
Thank you for your question.

May I ask, on what grounds is she requesting a modification? Has your friend began earning more since the original support decree was put in place? When was the original decree placed on him? How old is the remaining child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes he is earning more money now. He has been paying for both girls for almost 4 years since their divorce started. The remaining daughter is eleven. Now she is asking for almost 600.00 per month.
Thank you for your follow-up.

If he is making more money, then the other parent is entitled to request more funds. That is because child support is not final and settled, it is directly based on income of both parents and on percentage of custody of both parents of the children. The best way to find out if she is being unreasonable or not is to go to the link below, which is to an estimate of the child support guidelines calculator for the state or Oregon. This will tell you and your friend what approximately he should be paying under state law, and see if what she is requesting is higher, therefore giving you a legitimate argument in contesting her claim.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Even if she chooses not to work, he has to pay for her not making any money because she is lazy? So not fair
Thank you for your follow-up.

I am sorry but whether or not she works, his obligation to the children remains. The only recourse is for him to seek out custody himself, so that if he is able to obtain it, she will have to pay him support. Otherwise I am afraid that he does have to pay more support if he earns more, since legally that money is not for the ex but completely for the benefit of the child and her care.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you