How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a minor child (17 yrs old & a senior in high school) that

Resolved Question:

If a minor child (17 yrs old & a senior in high school) that I pay child support for moves to another state to live with another family member (not my family), am I still obligated to send child support to my ex, even though she does not live with her?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - I f your court order has not been changed then you have to continue to pay the support to her as she is the legal custodial parent. You can file a motion with the court to have the payments transferred to the third party but I can't see wasting your money to do that since you would still have to pay the support until the order is terminated. Technically there should have been a legal change of custody but all of this requires going to court and having the custody and support orders changed. You have a right to do this but, as I said, it may not be worth the cost.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you