How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Domestic Your Own Question
John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John Domestic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and and i are separated for good. She is four

Customer Question

My girlfriend and and i are separated for good. She is four months pregnant with my daughter. I moved about 11 hours away and took a job offer and now she is telling me that
ill never be a part of the childs life. Her and her mother put a protective order against me and said they are taking legal action to make sure im not a part of the baby's life. What should in do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

What state is your girlfriend in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.
Once the child is born, if they do not place you on the birth certificate then you can file a petition to establish paternity in family court. If you are determined by court order as the legal father you can file for visitation and custody rights. If you are determined to be the father then you will possibly also be liable for child support.

Here is a great description of what you will have to go through with a paternity case:

Related Family Law Questions