How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can someone please tell me if a Motion to Quash a subpoena

Customer Question

Can someone please tell me if a Motion to Quash a subpoena possible to halt the production of documents to the requesting party if the grounds are as follows:
Improper Service, Unduly Burdensome, Overbroad, Scope of Request, Immaterial, and Uncharged Misconduct & Extraneous Acts. A document service provider told me that a Motion to Quash will not stop the production of documents no matter what
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
A motion to quash on discovery is generally not granted as the discovery rules are very broad and allow for discovery of anything that could lead to the discovery of information that can be used in trial. The only thing one can do to the discovery on individual items is file an objection on the basis that it is "unduly burdensome" or serves no purpose other than to annoy or harass. However, it is very rare that a court will quash discovery.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How about if the requesting party can be shown to have forged the proof of service? and failed to follow the laws in regard to the process of service. How is it that a person who is being investigated for other fraudulent activity, can invade the right to privacy of another individual and in the process commit crimes in their efforts to obtain this information. This person, and we have actual proof of the forgery, identity theft, fraud, and did this under a penalty of perjury. Can a judge not grant on the many grounds? Would they the (judge) actually look the other way?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You can file for sanctions on the proof of service through the court, but that is not going to prevent the discovery, it may make them liable for fines and possibly some attorney's fees for you having to object to the service. However, the judge is not going to just tell them they cannot have any discovery, it just does not happen. The denial of discovery rights is one of the most severe sanctions and absent actual discovery abuses, the court abhors such a sanction.