Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

can a parent that gives up parental rights or custody still

Customer Question
see the child? can the...
can a parent that gives up parental rights or custody still see the child? can the other parent get an order of protection against the parent that gave up rights, so she won't be able to see her son? My daughter believes that even if she gives up her rights she still can come to sports events and youthgroups to see him.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer

Dear JACUSTOMER - Once she gives up her rights then she has none. Having said that, if she goes to a public event I see no reason why she could not be in attendance. Obviously if there is an order of protection to keep her distance that would be a problem. I don't know what basis there would be for a protection order if she poses no danger to the child or tries to have personal contact.

I have no idea why she would want to give up her rights unless the child is to be adopted. If she doesn't want to exercise her rights no one can force her to do so therefore I don't see the point in formally giving up her rights.

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer