How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife and have two children my daughter 13 lives with

Customer Question

My ex-wife and have two children my daughter 13 lives with me and my son 11 lives with her. According to the divorce decree we have joint legal custody with my daughter list as her primary residents with me and my son with my ex. My son now wants to come live with me also and my ex has agreed. What do I need to do at this to legally enroll my son in school and what should be done about the child support I pay to my ex-wife.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What you have to do is to file a Petition to Modify Custody in the Court. You do this, and then she signs off on a Waiver of Service that shows that she agrees to this.

Then, you show up on an uncontested docket and prove up your case - the court will sign off on the decree. The pleading and proposed order can be found on sites like Child support can also be reversed this way.

For an immediate ability to enroll, have her sign a Power of Attorney and use it for enrollment. You can find it on the same site, or

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.