How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, my wife and I are in our 50s, and have been married

Resolved Question:

Hello, my wife and I are in our 50's, and have been married for 5 years. My 2nd marriage, her 3rd. We live in Florida, which is not a community property state.
Just before we got married, we both signed a prenup. It basically says that our respective assets are to be kept separate during the marriage, and in the event that we divorce. We do not own anything jointly.
I currently own 3 condominiums, all of which are in my name. I paid for them with cash, that came from an inheritance given to me, before I met my wife. I have documentation for all of this.
My wife is asking for a divorce, but has not yet retained counsel. I do not want to get divorced, and leave it up to my wife to file. My question to you is, what can I expect to lose in terms of my assets, in the event she serves me with a divorce?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe? You would keep all your property. Even with NO prenup, since you purchased the property prior to marriage and paid cash, and kept in your name, you own the property.

The fact you have a prenup that basically says the same thing (you keep your property) will only strengthen your case

May want to try and work this out without can both save money if you do

P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions