How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of NJand have a civil union. Recently,

This answer was rated:

I live in the state of NJand have a civil union. Recently, my partner got sick and is in e hospital. She hasn't any insurance. Am I financially responsible for her medical bills?

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.


Yes it is possible you will be billed for the medical expenses. In New Jersey, the Civil
Union Law states that committed same-sex couples must receive the same rights and
benefits enjoyed by married couples. The new Act provides that whenever in any
law, rule, regulation, judicial or administrative proceeding, or otherwise, reference is made to “marriage,” “husband,” “wife,” “spouse,”“next of kin,” “widow,” or another word which indicates a spousal relationship, the same will include a civil union member.

So along with the benefit there is the same burden such as the financial obligation spouses share for medical expenses.

Daniel Solutions and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This will completely wipe me out. We file taxes separately. Does this have any bearing on how the state of NJ will treat this? I really only have a small savings. Will they expect all this money right away?

You stated that you have a Civil Union and if that is the case, then the separate tax filings will have no affect because just like married couples the separate filing has not legal affect on the obligation to support each other.


I can not say how the medical treatment providers will expect payment. They may have a financial hardship program for those who can not pay so I suggest you talk with the hospital and the social worker who may be able to tell you about such programs.