Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Texas I am not married to my unborn childs father. He is

Texas: I am not married to my unborn child's father. He is not involved with me any longer. Do I have to give the child the father's last name. If I do not will it effect my ability to get child support from him?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

No, you do not have to give him the father's last name. As long as the father is listed on the birth certificate or if you file for child support with the Attorney General's Office within four years (pr more if some circumstances apply), then this will not affect child support.

The man is presumed to be the father if his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate and/or if he is adjudicated to be the father by a court ordered DNA test.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.