How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102162
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Texas I am not married to my unborn childs father. He is

Resolved Question:

Texas: I am not married to my unborn child's father. He is not involved with me any longer. Do I have to give the child the father's last name. If I do not will it effect my ability to get child support from him?
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

No, you do not have to give him the father's last name. As long as the father is listed on the birth certificate or if you file for child support with the Attorney General's Office within four years (pr more if some circumstances apply), then this will not affect child support.

The man is presumed to be the father if his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate and/or if he is adjudicated to be the father by a court ordered DNA test.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you