How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28005
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to a man for 14 years during this time

Resolved Question:

I have been married to a man for 14 years during this time he has helped raised my daughter even when we separated 8 years ago he would still come get her and take her places. He would do everything that a Dad should do for her and she loves him as much as he showed that he loved her as a daughter. However now he has met someone that he plans to marry and we will be getting a Divorce and since meeting her he is not allowed to see his daughter nor can he have much contact with her. This has affected my 15 year old daughter greatly to the point that she makes bad decisions around boys etc. I want to know is there anyway during the Divorce that I can enforce visitation upon her Dad so that at least once a month he has to come see her to hangout with her? If not then I would like to know if I can enforce child support on him due to his support over the years with her upbringing as well as financially?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

Is this her biological father or was this man a step-father?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a Step Father, but the only father she has known.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.
I certainly understand your situation and concern for your daughter. Based on the fact that this is not her biological father and was a step-father, it is not likely that the court will order he pay child support or order visitation. If he wants to see your daughter, he certainly can make every effort to do so, but cant be forced to do this. It would have to be done on his own. As far as child support, you could go after her biological father but cant make him pay it, just because you and him were married. It is really a tough situation for you and your daughter, but the is unlikely that the court will order either. You can certainly try and ask for it during the divorce proceedings, but be prepared for it to be disputed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it not the courts concern to have the well being of a child put first? She doesn't care what anyone says that is her father. How long could I hold up the Divorce if I were to ask him to agree to see her at least once a month and his new girlfriend says no? Can we have it put in writing from the courts so that the girlfriend has to let him see her? Of course without her knowing it was agreed upon.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the best interest of the child is a concern. The decision to see her is solely up to him. His new girlfriend has no say and it is an issue for them to resolve. He can not be forced to see your daughter, if he does not want to. Nor is the court going to force visitation. If he wants it, then he could likely see her, as agreed between you and him. The divorce is between you and him. It has nothing to do with the girlfriend, so she does not need to be involved.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you