How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 oldest sons are 12,13,14 years of age and they want to

This answer was rated:

My 3 oldest sons are 12,13,14 years of age and they want to live with me. There mother is now in a same sex relationship that they do not agree with. Do I have a leg yo stand on in court to get custody modification in texas, they also live in an over crowded house( my 4 boys, my ex, her girlfriend, her girl friends two kids, and another homosexual male in a 3 bedroom house.
Actually based on their ages, the courts generally find that children in that age range have the ability to express their wishes to the court and the court will consider those wishes in the best interests of the child. The support they have is that the same sex relationship is something they disagree with and while the Texas courts are supposed to be neutral regarding sexual preference, in these matters they generally are not and if the children express their wishes to the court based on this reasoning the court is more likely than not to modify the custody.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you