How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i subpoena a third party, how do i need to inform other

This answer was rated:

if i subpoena a third party, how do i need to inform other party of this?

i am assuming through proof of service (by mail)? is that correct?
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

That is correct. You send the other party a copy with a certificate of service. You do not have to file anything with the court but you get the subpoena from the clerk of court and she has to sign it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am soo sorry but I don't understand the whole process. Just want to make sure, I do it right. Please confirm or correct:

1. I prepared the subpoena, made copies (1 for judge, 1 for other side, 1 for me and original for 3rd party)

2. file it with clerk

3. clerk stamps it and gives it back to me, keeps copy for judge

4. i have someone serve the subpoena on third party

5. i have someone mail the copy of subpoena to other side of case with a proof of service

6. i mail copy of proof of service to other side through mail to court

The clerk may keep a copy for her records but the judge is not interested. You don't file the proof of service with the court. Other than that you are correct.
lwpat and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions