How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello my sons father owes me over 21,000 in back child support

Resolved Question:

hello my sons father owes me over 21,000 in back child support and i just found out he is getting a settlement from the va for his deceased father being exposed to agent orange. will they take out what he owes me for child support out of that check? if not ill never see a dime and my son is already 15 yrs old .thank you tina
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

If the state is aware of the settlement, they may very well seize it to collect on the arrearages. However, you should consider addressing the matter in a proactive fashion. You can do this by filing a motion with the court that handle the child support issue in the first place.


You could file an emergency motion for enforcement. The motion would detail his arrearages and the VA settlement. The motion would further state that you are in fear that the monies will be spent, hid or whatever to avoid making payment.


If you can get the motion filed quickly, I can say with a high level of confidence that the judge will gladly grant you an order requiring the funds to be frozen to cover the arrearages before disbursing anything to the father.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you