Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I had a mediation meeting with ex. child, 15 yrs. old lived

Customer Question
with me, but now she...
I had a mediation meeting with ex. child, 15 yrs. old lived with me, but now she wants to live with father. We talked 3days with me, 4days with father. Is that mean, I automatically loose fisical custody? Also, he doesn't have to pay child support?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

That is correct this would be 50/50 physical custody.

What is your income and what is the income of your ex?

I don't have income. His income about 200,000, not 100% sure. Are you saying father doesn't have to pay child suppot without going to court?
Did I state that?
I appreciate your answer but I'd like to work with new expert.
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Your previous expert opted out at your request. However, I must say you may misunderstand how child support works. A biological non-custodial parent is liable to pay support based on their monthly income and the child support guidelines. BUT, in the absence of a written agreement or a court order, they cannot be forced to pay any such support. Child support is due only when the child lives with a primary custodial parent, but if he has primary physical custody he owes you no support. Also, if custody is shared 50-50, he MAY owe you support if there is such a disparity in income that the court finds it fair in the interests of the child to make him pay, but that requires a court order.

In a typical 50-50 custody, no support is owed because each parent is expected to contribute to the support of the child equally. If he gets primary physical custody he has no obligation to pay you support because the law says you are only due support if you have the child living with you. Since he has the child 50-50, this is a case where if you prove significant disparity in income the court can deviate from the child support guidelines and award you some support, but it will not likely be the full amount because of the 50-50 custody.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX court order, it said, he has to pay child support, primely residence is my house and have joint custody. I asked him to come to mediation because he won let her come home by showering her material things and money. Also, child said, don't want to come home. Because she is 15, if she doesn't want to come home, I'm not sure it make sence if I hire the lawyer and make petition for violation of stipulation.
If she does not want to live with you, atXXXXXwill consider her wishes and as such if you go to court and she testifies she wants to live with him, chances are better than average the court will allow her to do so and will award him custody.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer