How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9332
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband at present lives and works in Saudi Arabia. He

Customer Question

My ex husband at present lives and works in Saudi Arabia. He is British Citizen with a US permanent card. We got divorce in US two years ago. Legally he should pay me monthly alimony for 5 years. He owe me back in payments because he lost his job, but since Oct. 2010 he is working again (Saudi Arabia), but again he is refusing to pay me the full amount that he should do....Is there a way that I can execute from him the full monthly payments that should be paid to me by him?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
Where is his employer based? Is it a Saudi or a US or a British company?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The company is based in Saudi and, actually, it is also Saudi-owned.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
What State are you in?

Is that the same State that granted the divorce and ordered alimony?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in New York State. The divorce was also granted in NY. The divorce was uncontested and the alimony was agreed on a mutual terms between I and my husband. The agreement was signed by both of us and notarized in American Consulate in Dahran, Saudi Arabia. Then it was granted as part of the divorce in NY.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
indicates that it may not be possible to execute against his earnings from the Saudi employer, because the Saudis may not recognize the validity of the NY judgment.

The Saudis have never ratified the United Nations Convention on the Recovery Abroad of Maintenance, see

You can get a consultation from some of the alimony law attorneys listed at

I hope this information is helpful, but only an attorney in Saudi Arabia can advise you on your legal ability to enforce the NY judgment there.

Related Family Law Questions