How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42851
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons estranged father was just killed in an accident. He

Customer Question

My son's estranged father was just killed in an accident. He was paying child support and providing insurance per court order. My son is 16 years old. What rights does he have and what should I be looking into next?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

RayAnswers :

Your son here can receive social security survivor benefits here and you should file asap here until age 18.Also if there is an estate filed here--father had assets then you can file a claim for any arrears owed on the child support as a creditor.You would get copy of orders and arrears and file a claim with probate court where he died.If there were no assets social security is the best you can do .

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you