How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorce 12 years ago and have bein paying alimoney every

Resolved Question:

I got divorce 12 years ago and have bein paying alimoney every month. I am now 68 years and want to retired bet have this over my head. It seems that my attorney did not tell me and even mention this was for life. There is no date or amount in the papers, is there any thing I am can do about the alimoney? I ask attorney several years ago to look into this ande she said that The changes were 75-25 that they would net change the ruling. Is this the way it is or do you think I can do something about it...
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.


I'm sorry your divorce attorney did not share with you the fact that the alimony was for life. Pemanent alimony would only terminate upon death of your exwife or if she remarries, unless the order states differently, but you can seek a modification if you're going to retire.


South Carolina law authorizes a spouse to request modification of alimony based upon a change of circumstances. S.C. Code Ann. § 20-3-170 (1976 & Supp. 2001). After a hearing in which the parties are given the opportunity to be heard and present evidence, the family court may “make such order and judgment as justice and equity shall require, with due regard to the changed circumstances and the financial ability of the supporting spouse, decreasing or increasing or confirming the amount of alimony provided for in such original judgment or terminating such payments.” S.C. Code Ann. § 20-3-170 (1976).

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the retirement would be a change in circumstances and if your income will decrease they you can ask the court to reduce your payments.
Daniel Solutions and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you