How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13473
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to determine if my Child support payments are to

This answer was rated:

I am trying to determine if my Child support payments are to end when my son turns 18, in December 2011 or when he graduates from High School in 2012. He will not be continuing to higher education.

Here is the wording on my Massachusetts Divorce agreement:
Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines. The child support payments shall be made by wage assignment and, so long as possible, by direct deposit into Wife's bank account. The child support is to continue in effect until the child is emancipated. 2. For purposes of all provisions of this Agreement relating to the child, emancipation of the child shall be deemed to have occurred upon the happening of the first to occur of the following events:

(a) Attaining the age of 18 years or graduation from high school without plans for future education as a full-time student; or if attending an accredited vocational training school or accredited college as a full-time student at age 23 or the completion of such college or school, whichever occurs first, provided that (i) a child's engagement in part-time employment while said child is pursuing his education as a frill-time student shall not be deemed emancipation; and (ji) full-time employment by a child during school vacations shall not be deemed to terminate child support upon a child's subsequently entering vocational training school or college; thereafter, emancipation shall be determined in accordance with other applicable provisions of this paragraph and section;

(b) Marriage (even though such marriage may be void or voidable and despite its annulment); (c) Permanent residence away from the residence of the Husband or Wife; however, residence at boarding school, camp or college is not to be deemed a residence away from the Husband or Wife as set forth in paragraph 4(a) above;

(d) Death; (e) Entry into the military service of any country (provided that if such entry is not voluntary, emancipation shall be deemed to terminate upon discharge from such service and thereafter, emancipation shall be determined in accordance with other applicable provisions of this paragraph)

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.


According to the language provided, it will stop when he turns 18 in December 2011. This is because in the first paragraph a) it defines emancipation as "attaining the age of 18 years OR graduation from high school without plans...." If it said "and" it would be when he graduated. But since it says "or", the payments stop after his 18th birthday.



JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions